Over the past few months, I have been in a state of deep adoration for person and work of Jesus Christ. I have been walking with the Lord for a few years now and was always aware of the person of Jesus and His relevance to mankind. This man, Jesus, seemed to be a very popular character in the Bible stories we were taught in Sunday School. However as I mature as a Christian and the import of the revelation of Jesus Christ is absorbed, I have two dominant sentiments; awe and gratitude. I am awed by the extent of His work and grateful for the same. Revelation knowledge in the Word is progressively elaborated; therefore it is exciting to know that there are depths of Jesus’ redemption package I am yet to discover.
As I study the Epistles of Paul, my awe and gratitude for Jesus increase as it becomes obvious that there are a number of benefits we can only have access to through Him. I am amazed by the riches of His grace. It is especially humbling to know that I did nothing to earn such a robust package which I have taken delivery of. In this post, I am sharing ten (not exhaustive) indispensable benefits we enjoy in Him, by Him and through Him. These are some which are dominant in my heart in this season.
- LIFE AND EXISTENCE: It is to Jesus that we owe our very lives and existence. Life is connectivity of the spirit of man to God. ‘For in him we live and move and exist. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring’. (Acts 17:28)
- REDEMPTION AND INDEPENDENCE: We have been bought back from the legitimate control and colonization of Satan by His blood. Our claim to freedom is in Jesus and without Him we are all enslaved captives. ‘In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins’. (Colossians 1:14)
- FORGIVENESS: In Him our sins are forgiven. We need not pay the wage of sin which is death because He did that for us. My sins are forgiven through His blood.
- RECONCILIATION: All things have been reconciled and reconnected to God by Jesus. Our relationship with God was damaged beyond repair and He fixed it; reconciled us perfectly. ‘And by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross’. (Colossians 1:20)
- ACCESS: Before Jesus, no one, save the High priest, dared to enter the Holy of Holies and he could only enter once a year, on the Day of Atonement. He gave us something beyond reconciliation which is unhindered access to the Father. ‘In whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him’. (Ephesians 3:12)
- COMPLETION: We are only complete in Jesus. Without Him, there is a void and we are grossly deficient. ‘And you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power’. (Colossians 2:10)
- ELEVATION AND DOMINION: We were raised up with Jesus and seated in heavenly places far above principalities and powers. I only have a right to exercise dominion on the earth because of Him who promoted me. He moved me from the ground floor to the penthouse corner office, made me in charge and nobody can question my authority. ‘And raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus’. (Ephesians 2:6-7)
- SONSHIP: By Him, you have become a son of God. You only have the privilege to call God father because of Jesus. ‘Having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,’ (Ephesians 1:5)
- INHERITANCE: He further legitimized our sonship (because you could be a son without an inheritance) by giving us an inheritance which is also in Him. Healing, prosperity, liberty, peace, and joy are some pieces of the inheritance. ‘In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,’ (Ephesians 1:11)
- RIGHTEOUSNESS: Through Jesus we have become righteous, not of our own effort but by His complete work for us. The most righteous of men still appears filthy before God but through Jesus, we have been made righteous. ‘For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him’. (2 Corinthians 5:21)
Quite a list of benefits we have through Him, in Him and by Him alone. I couldn’t have these any other way but by Jesus. There is not one of these benefits I can imagine my life devoid of at this point. I cannot imagine a life without access to God or a life without a heavenly Father who has my needs covered. I cannot fathom a life under oppression of Satan or one in which I have to obey 613 commandments just to be considered acceptable to God. I can’t conceive a life devoid of the blood of Jesus to cover my sins or a life without the promise of health, peace, joy and wealth among others. That is a life without hope and not a life worth living.
Jesus delivered a complete package to me. He did not have to do it and it cost Him a lot. I wasn’t worth the sacrifice at the time because the Bible says while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. He lived to die; a paradox if there ever was one. He is my hero; a champion of champions. I implore you not to forget the reason for this season. It is not about the deals at the mall or the colorful decorations though those are nice. Neither is it about the holiday and visit from family and friends though those are useful too. It is a celebration of the birth of a champion like none other; He is JESUS, the Christ. Merry Christmas!